Info on Hwaseong Fortress



Hwaseong Fortress, Historic site no.3, was built in 1794-1796 during the reign of King Jeongjo of the Joseon Dynasty. Although it is relatively small in scale compared with Hanyangseong Fortress, the frotress constucted with the most advance technology of the day was more solidly built. Unlike other structures of the age which were constructed of stones, Suwon Castle was built of bricks and with the very first Korean crane. This has been recognized by experts as the best stucture of its king built before the Industrial Revolution. The four gates of Paldalmun, Changganmun, Hwasomun, and Changnyongmun surround the fortress. On the Paldalsanjong Pavilion are Sojangdae, Soporu, Sonamammun and Sobukjokdae. Past Sobukgong-simdon and Jangan Park, one can see Whahongmun Gate, as well as Chilgansu Stream flowering nearby. At Banghwasuryyujong Pavilion, one can overlook Yongyon Pond. Suwon Hwaseong Fortress was designated as the new site on the World Heritage List, at the UNESCO World Heritage Meeting held in Naples, Italy on December 4, 1997.






© 2006 Elite Storm Chasers.com     All Rights Reserved