Kwangdok Temple (Kwangdoksa)



Gwangdeok Temple is one thousand yearsold and is located on the southwestern hill of Mt. Gwangdeok at the boundary between Gwangdeok-Myeon, Cheonan and Songak-Myeon, Asan. Jajang Yulsa (a vinaya monk) built it in the 6th year of Queen Jindeok’s reign of the Shilla era and the great monk Jinsan renovated it. It was the largest temple in Gyeonggi-do and Chungcheong-do at that time. While the temple lands reached all throughout Gwangdeok-Myeon at that time, the temple was burned during the Japanese invasion in 1592. The Goryeosagyeong (Saddharma-pundarika sutra, Treasure No. 390), a 5-story stone pagoda, 5 stupas and a 400-year old walnut tree in front of Seoksaja and main hall of the temple tell the long history of Gwangdeok Temple.






© 2006 Elite Storm Chasers.com     All Rights Reserved